Have I ever shared that my handsome husband is a firefighter? I'm a firefighter's wife. Have I explained to you, dear readers, what it's like having your loved one gone for 48 hours at a job that has the potential of danger and harm for every emergency call? Have I explained that he loves what he does and that he feels disappointment if he misses the opportunity to respond to a blazing fire?
The city that he works for is not a large city, which means he doesn't have many opportunities to actually fight a "good fire" ... those are his words, not mine.... but he got the opportunity early Friday morning. He was called bright and early to a blazing fire of a local church building, a building that is rich in history for our county, a building that saddened many of us to see it destroyed.
While I know that my dear husband would make every effort to be safety conscious during his working days and his commanding officers will make every effort to also be extremely aware of safety, I can't help but worry every time he goes to work. It's a worry that lingers in the back of my mind. It's a worry that makes me very grateful to have him home safely after every shift ends.
He was able to take some great pictures while at the fire this last week. While the picture above is courtesy of the local news station, a great picture of the blazing fire, this next picture was taken while he was busy at work. This is his viewpoint from the bottom of the ladder truck.
As I mentioned, he loves what he does so when he got the call to a "good fire" he was looking forward to the opportunity to put his firefighting skills to use. His first 24 hours on the job fighting this blaze was a great day at work for him; however, after 24 hours out in the freezing cold and very little sleep he started his next 24 hours not as thrilled to do the job. It was a very tough couple days for him. I'm grateful to the caring, kind businesses in our community that provided warm food for him and his crew. And very, very grateful to have him home safely again.
I'm grateful for the brave men, including my husband, who are willing to risk their lives to keep us safe. Love my husband dearly and pray always that he'll be safe. I wouldn't change him for the world and grateful for who he is and his brave heart.



No comments:
Post a Comment