Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A Few Things.....

It's been awhile since my last post and I have a few things to share.

First, my last post is in reference to sweet Tori's 16th birthday.  She's now driving.  We decided to buy her a car.  We are now a four car family.... four cars.  I kind of think it's ridiculous that we have four cars; however, with that said I'm very grateful that we have the cars.  It sure is convenient and so very, very nice not having to run Tori to all her practices and school events.  I hope we can survive the insurance and fuel!

Second, Evan is such an amazing young man.  I don't talk enough about him and he needs to be talked about.  He has such a steady, reliable, quiet personality and a quick intelligence.... he's going places.  One other item of note with Evan - I've discovered his motivation as a teenager.  As a parent trying to encourage certain behaviors and enforce rules, it's always very nice when you discover something that motivates compliance, right?

We've always encouraged good grades because we know all the children are fully capable of earning good grades.  To encourage good grades, we have offered a monetary reward for each A earned.  This reward has never been a motivating factor for Evan.  What we discovered is that when we started making Evan pay us for his car insurance because the cost increased due to his low GPA, he suddenly improved dramatically on his grades.  His motivation is that he doesn't want to spend his money.... he's a saver.  I love it!

Finally, Todd has been cleared for full-duty at work.  It's a true blessing.  After his shoulder surgery, the doctor told us it would most likely be a year before Todd would be have the range of motion needed to return to work as a firefighter.  His surgery was the end of December and he's back to work the first of April.  Todd received a Priesthood blessing, given by members of the Mormon faith, and was blessed to have a speedy, full recovery.  I believe our prayers were answered and I am grateful.

No comments: