Monday, July 28, 2008

Back to Costa Rica

I can't believe it's been over a month since we returned from our amazing trip to Costa Rica. Did I mention how amazing it was over there? Did I say it was amazingly beautiful? Well if I didn't, it was amazing! So, anyhoo, here's some more pictures... enjoy!














Our fourth day in Costa Rica, was a Sunday. Some of us decided not to take the hour long bus ride into town to attend church. For me personally, my stomach needed a rest. So, we decided to do a little exploring. During our exploring, we found a sign that pointed us to "Jungle Canopy Suspended Walkway". Sounded interesting so we followed the sign. At the entrance we found Mr. Snuffles just taking his Sunday stroll.
















Just past Mr. Snuffles we discovered this very cool tree. It's an example of many of the trees in the jungle. This tree was the start of the canopy system and our Sunday afternoon adventure.


















Here's the start of our adventure along the suspended walkways through the Costa Rica jungle. We counted 16 of these walkways. It was hot and muggy and hot but just beautiful and incredibly thrilling.


















You can't really tell but Todd and I are super sweaty and gross. :-) My hair is actually curly from all moisture in the air. We loved every minute!

















Isn't this tree is incredible? It really was this massive, gorgeous tree.



After about 10 minutes into our walk among the trees, we spotted some monkeys. They were incredible and oh so cute. Here's a video of a group of very young monkeys playing with each other while the adult monkeys sat close by and watched.





We spent a lot of time watching the monkeys and decided to walk a little further. All through our walk along the 16 suspended walkways we saw monkeys. At the 16th walkway, the very end, we found ourselves looking at the waterslide that we would be going down the next day. This waterslide goes about 1/2 a mile through the jungle. This video is a sample of what we had to look forward to. :-)






A picture of me making my way along the suspended walkways on our way back to the lodge.



A final video of the very active monkeys we saw along the way. This was a nice way to end our jungle adventure, don't you think?

After returning to our room to shower because, like I said, we were sweaty and gross, the sky opened up and it rained. Boy oh boy, did it rain. We had been expecting rain and knew that it rained A LOT because we had heard it at night but this was our first experience seeing it and feeling it. It was like having a bucket of water dumped.
















So, after the rain being dumped on us and cleaning ourselves off, we decided to explore a little more. The air is now fresh and clear and gorgeous! On the hillside behind the lodges we stayed in at Buena Vista there was a whole field of yellow flowers. This picture does not do justice to how pretty it was there.

















After a little exploring of this beautiful flower filled hillside, we discovered there was a little building at the very top of the hill, which was really at the top of the mountain our lodge was built on.

















This building is called the Sunset Bar. It's an actual bar that opens up an hour before sunset and closes an hour after sunset. The view from this location is spectacular.

















A view of the Buena Vista valley.

















Had to take a picture of this cool looking tree with three very large vultures. Kind of cool, don't you think?
















































Wasn't that beautiful? After the sun goes down, the Sunset Bar flips on it's disco ball and disco music. It was pretty dang funny. We headed back down to our lodge with our flashlights and left the discoing to the foreigners... wait we were foreigners. All I can say is there were some very strange people there. :-) Too bad I didn't get any great pictures of the disco ball.

So, that's day four of our adventure.

4 comments:

FitzFam4ever said...

Wow Marcy!!! What a great entry! What a great trip! I loved seeing all the pictures and video clips and reading all about it. What an amazing trip!

FitzFam4ever said...

I have to submit another comment to sign up for email notices.

FitzFam4ever said...

one more comment from me! I can't believe your hair actually went curly! Did you like it? Did you ever see the episode of Friends when they went somewhere tropical and Monica's hair frizzed out. Well that is mine! I am not a pretty sight when it comes to beautiful tropical paradises.

By the way Marcy, you are a great writer!

Lillian said...

What awesome pictures. I bet it was so cool walking along those suspended walkways. And all those monkeys!! The yellow flower meadow is gorgeous too.