Friday, January 29, 2010

Me? Teaching Sing?

It's hard to believe but I have been teaching singing to the children in our church for over a year now.  Can I sing?  Sure, anybody can sing, right?  But can I sing well... nooooo.  I'm much more comfortable behind the piano providing the music

I'm the chorister for Primary, which is for children from ages three to twelve in the LDS church. In primary,  children receive two hours of religious instruction each Sunday. One hour is spent with a teacher who provides a lesson for an age-specific group, and a second hour is spent in a combined group of children in instruction and singing.

The second hour is when I step in and attempt to teach the cute kids music.  Why am I teaching singing when I can't sing?  One of the beautiful things about the LDS church is that it is run by volunteers.  From the leaders to the teachers to the people who clean the church houses every week, we do it all voluntarily.  So, typically when I'm asked to provide support, I'm very willing to do my part.

However, when I was asked to be the chorister for primary, I wasn't as willing.  I was in shock.  I asked them, "Are you sure you are asking the right person?  Don't you mean you need me to play the piano?"  Yes, they were sure they had the right person.  I then asked, "You know I can't sing.  Are you really serious?"  Yes, they were serious and didn't care about my singing.  I know music and they want me to teach it.

So.... I've been the chorister and after a few months of sweating bullets while attempting to teach singing and making a complete fool of myself... I have come to absolutely love it.  I love it all!

I still can't sing.

However, the kids are just so adorable.  They are so sweet and don't care about my voice.  Many of them will point me out and tell their Mommies, "she's the one that teaches music" or will run up to me and give me a big hug and tell me "hi".  How can you just not love that?

This month, I'm teaching a song that is beautiful and poignant called "I Know That My Savior Loves Me".  It is the sweetest thing to hear these darling little voices singing this song so beautifully.  Another chorister has created a YouTube clip of this song that I want to share.  You can hear for yourself the sweetness of the song in the voices of the children singing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzMgE-uFSzQ

Isn't it sweet?  I wanted to share this beautiful song with everyone.  Remember me each Sunday afternoon and keep me in your thoughts as I continue to try and teach music... and try to sing.... and not very well.

If you would like a copy of the sheet music, click here.....Click here for the sheet music.

1 comment:

Lillian said...

Good for you for being so brave Marcy. Primary chorister is a big calling. I'm glad you're enjoying it! That is a beautiful song, too!