Todd and I recently had the incredible opportunity to travel to England this June, something we've both wanted to do for many years. Such an amazing experience. Do you mind if I share with you?
We first traveled to Manchester, England to attend a conference for my work. It was an incredible experience to visit Manchester and be able to present on what we do at our University. While in Manchester, Todd and I walked around the city and were thrilled with the gorgeous, old buildings and architecture.
This is the Manchester cathedral. Absolutely gorgeous...scary gargoyles and all.
We then visited an another tourist favorite in the city. the John Rylands Library. A beautiful old library built in 1889 and houses many old books and also has a fragment of the Book of John. Pretty cool.
While I was busy attending my conference, Todd kept himself busy touring the city and visiting the fire stations. An interesting experience for him to learn about the fire service in England.
One evening we drove around to view the country outside of the bustling city of Manchester and happen to see a large "castle" in the distance.
We stopped and asked for information on the "castle" from a local business and we were told that it was a lovely country manor. Ummm, ok, a country manor? We discovered that, unfortunately, it was only open to visitors the middle of July through September so we were unable to tour this lovely country manor. It sure was gorgeous from a distance.
Our final day in Manchester, the day we traveled to London to start our real vacation, we were able to catch a ride with a co-worker of mine to visit the Derbyshire countryside. Oh my goodness.... it was just beautiful. I'll share more about this drive and lovely view of the country in my next post.
If I get the chance to travel back to England, I want to spend a week in Derbyshire!
No comments:
Post a Comment