Monday, December 19, 2011

Christmas Treats

Every year we have a Christmas tradition of making yummy treats for our neighbors and friends.  This is a tradition that I learned from my Mom.  How she did the cooking each year with eight kids, I just don't know, but she did and it was fun for all of us.  We all enjoyed running plates of yummy treats around the neighborhood and, most of all, enjoyed eating the goodies.

The goodies my Mom would make each year without fail are her famous peanut brittle, home-made fudge, and rice krispie squares.  Have you ever made peanut brittle?  It's tough.  I don't know how she manages to get it just right every year.  I've got her recipe but I seem to burn it each year.

So, as I mentioned, I've continued the tradition making goodies.  I don't always make the same treat each year because I like to try new recipes but typically I make something chocolatey (it's not a treat if there's no chocolate involved, right?).

This year I'm making Merry Mint Fudge, something I've made in the past and is my absolute favorite kind of fudge because it's got mint cookies in it.  I just love chocolate and mint together.  Here's a link to the recipe I posted last year.... Merry Mint Fudge Link.

I'm also making chocolate-dipped pretzel sticks, which is a super, easy treat that anyone can do and most everyone loves the combination of salty and sweet.  The pretzels can be dipped in milk chocolate or white chocolate.

Lastly, I'm making Peanut Blossoms.  All three recipes are easy, yummy, and involve chocolate so I'm happy.  Hopefully the neighbors are happy also.  Either way, it's been a great tradition to continue.


Peanut Blossoms
1 cup shortening (I actually substitute butter for the shortening and think the cookies taste much better with the butter.)
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup white sugar for decoration
2 (9 ounce) bags milk chocolate candy kisses, unwrapped 

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the shortening, peanut butter, brown sugar, and 1 cup white sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, and stir in the milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; stir into the peanut butter mixture until well blended. Shape tablespoonfuls of dough into balls, and roll in remaining white sugar. Place cookies 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets. 
3. Bake for 10 to12 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove from oven, and immediately press a chocolate kiss into each cookie. Allow to cool completely; the kiss will harden as it cools.

No comments: